Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chance of a lifetime =)

California is one of my favorite places on earth. Being out here and dancing, has made this the best summer. I live a short 5- minute walk to the beach and the temperature is always perfect =) And it worked out great that beautiful Torrance Beach is so close to work, so that is where Brian and I have taken to spending our long Thursday breaks =)
So, the saturday after my last post was a nice calm day. Brian stayed and worked on a latin shirt while I spent the morning at the beach. Followed by a quick walk to the nearest RedBox followed by movie night. It was a wonderful, relaxing day. Sunday, Kara and I went to the El Camino YSA Branch... I don`t think I have ever seen a smaller group... about 15 individuals... Weird change from Provo, for sure. But the people were great! Our lessons were amazing and it was fun getting to know more people. After church, Kara and I took a walk to return the movies and to chat. She is such a wonderful girl. We had a wonderful chat and I am glad that we are becoming friends. Monday, we went into the studio later, and got in a pretty good practice. We are learning incredible information  out here. I was discouraged because I felt my body wasn`t doing what I asked of it ( the whole concept was there in my head but somehow got lost on its way to my body... =( ...) Thankfully, Brian was patient with me and helped me get it better.
Tuesday was another full day of lessons. This time though we finished up and went to Burbank to have dinner with Brian`s childhood nanny. Mary Jane is one of the kindest and funniest people I have ever met. It is impossible not to like her right away. She reminds me of a mix of people: Brian`s mom Amy- one of the most amazing people I have met, Betsy, and Brian`s awesome friend Jen. So fun. I got to hold her darling son Nigel  while she finished dinner. He is sooo cute! and extremely well behaved. We stayed way late and just talked. It was fun to hear the two of them share stories. Fun night
Wednesday we had a lesson with Vicki...oh my goodness, she is AMAZING! She helped us in ways I cannot even explain. She knows her body so well and did an incredible job helping us figure out how to use ours more. She has such a wonderful take on competition as well. Just while talking she came up with amazing choreography and technique. And though I felt retarded because I wasn`t doing everything like her, it was hard to be discouraged since she was so nice. She told us to incorporate our strengths. She told me mine were spinning and my extensions. That made me happy. She also complimented my body shape alot.
Whew, that made me feel better- I have been feeling fat since we got here. Not that I am, I am I realize, just because we eat pizza and taco bell so much since we dont get home till way late.
 So yea. After the lesson I taught both the samba basics class and West coast. The basics class we worked on voltas and criss cross voltas- the class is great so it was fun. For west coast, we reviewed all that we have learned this month (next week starts a new month and different classes)/. Then I taught two additional steps. They wanted to video tape me doing the steps and since Brian had a lesson at the moment I had Jim help me. Jim is awesome. He is a very natural dancer and a pleasure to work with. He picks up the steps very easily and is just so sweet overall. Thursday was a fun day. It started early, but it wasn`t as hard to get up. At noon I taught Tom`s rumba class. It was so fun! We discussed arm styling and reviewed what they had learned. I love getting people`s feedback and take on new skills. I feel like when they get it and explain it, I learn even more about it. Then Brian and I went back to the beach. This time Brian passed out and got burnt and I just starred at the ocean... I tried to sleep but couldn`t. I love being on the beach. We got back and I had a lesson with little Emily. I love working with her. Its more fun to relate to kids I think. We could use analogies like reaching for chocolate and showing her bracelets off. It is always fun. Also Olga was here teaching. I would get distracted watching. So many amazing people come here. We got to see Anastacia and Victor Fung, and Urs and Agnes. I may not be a standard girl, but I was in love- plus it makes me laugh that Urs looks like Kelseys bf... WE then taught the cha cha class and finished the routine. Love this class. Friday: Today I got up and finished reading the Neverending story (again). Then Kara and I took a long walk along the beach front and over to the Redondo Beach Pier.

Then we just chatted as we came home. I went to go get Brian and was met with a surprise: I got an email ad found out the greatest news... I made the BYU tour team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was soooooo happy! I had felt so nervous... and was excited to find out I would be joined by some of my favorite people (Claire von Nieda- you`re at the top of this list =)...) I called my family and some of my closest friends. I cannot wait to start working with some of the most amazing dancers! That night we had the party and had a great time just dancing around. Thankfully more and more guys come so I get to dance as a girl lol.
Saturday, Brian and I had a wonderful non-dance day. We went to Cafe Rio, then to a hysterical movie. Then, we went to get cupcakes ( I was craving them), and ice cream, and headed to a nearby park. We ate a ton and then decided to just swing and talk... It was way fun. Sunday, we moved Brian`s stuff to his nanny`s house ( he is house-sitting for them), and mine to a friends house close by. We said our goodbyes to our families (The Moriyama`s are soooo wonderful!) and headed up. I spent alot of time chatting with my family and called it a night. Nothing too entertaining has happened since then lol. Today (Tuesday), I taught a west coast swing lesson and later will practice. Love California 



No comments:

Post a Comment